Wednesday, February 27, 2008

homeschooling

As I wrote in my profile, I am a homeschooling mom. I love homeschooling although it has good and bad days. I am a Charlotte Mason girl. For those of you who don't know what this is, it is a style of homeschooling. We use whole living books to read. These are books written by one author who is passionate about the subject. They are not textbooks because they are written about many subjects and by more than one author. How many of you have read a really good book that was non-fiction? Say about Helen Keller that wanted you to learn more? That is a living book it inspires you! So those are the books I look for. The girls love to read and do most of their learning with these types of books. We also do grammar by journaling. I asked a professor once how to improve writing and grammar skills he said "by reading really good books and by practicing"! So, that was exactly what Charlotte Mason said in her books . We also do vocabulary words which can be interesting considering the majority of our reading comes from classics like Shakespheare . We also do Narration and Dictation along with Copying great works. I will get into these later. For Math we use Math-U-See, it works well for us and uses the mastery method rather than the spiral method schools and textbooks use. Anyhow, if any of you doubted how crazy I was it is now verified. I am crazy about books, Jesus, my kids, and oh yeah my husband.

6 comments:

Amie said...

I like the Charlotte Mason philosophy as well. I also agree that a good writer will be a good writer too.

I think Math-U-See works good because the man who wrote it LOVES math and truly enjoys seeing kids understand it. None of my elementary teachers had that passion for math.

Amie said...

Oops, I meant I good READER will be a good writer.

Amie said...

Rachel, If you go to your blog options you can choose to add word verification to your comments so that you don't get spam.

Jamie said...

Hi there and welcome to blogging. I am Amie's sister-in-law. Can't wait to read more of your blog! I homeschool also and use Math-U-See. We love it! I also like Charlotte Mason and have slowly been going more her way since I first started homeschooling!

rach said...

I started out with five in a row and Learning Language arts through literature. Now, I am very Charlotte Mason. I struggle with the Nature Studies. Have you hear of Cindy Rushton? She has bookd and a website devoted to motherhood and CM.

Risa said...

Hi! Welcome to Blogging! I am Amie's old high school buddy! (And Jamie's cousin!)

I like the CM philisophy too, I just don't think I am organized enough to do it...I hate planning ahead and I am always afraid of change because I don't want to create learning gaps. We live in SD where we have state mandated testing (we haven't had do it yet) so I have this fear that when we DO have to do it my kids are going to be way behind and they will tell me they have to go to public school, and, and, AND! Sorry...I get carried away! LOL Isn't that part of the reason that we HS? So our kids can learn at their own pace? Anyway...hope you enjoy your blogging journey! :)